The Animal BioHealth/Pre-Professional option prepares students for professional careers in veterinary medicine, and animal science teaching and research. Extensive training is provided in the biological and physical sciences, offering an excellent foundation for graduate study.
Requirements include the core curriculum and additional credits as required by the College of Veterinary Medicine. The Animal BioHealth/Pre-Professional option is designed for students interested in fulfilling requirements for admission to the OSU College of Veterinary Medicine. It allows students who are admitted to the college, upon completion of three years of undergraduate study, to apply credit earned during the first year of professional study toward the BS degree in Animal Sciences.
Students choosing not to attend veterinary school after the third year of this program may complete additional requirements to qualify for the BS degree in Animal Sciences.
Scope of Base Animal Science Program
- Baccalaureate core: 48 credits plus a Writing Intensive Course (WIC) of at least 3 credits
- Animal Science Core: 34 credits
- Animal Industry: 6 credits
- Animal Production: 6 credits
- General science, math & statistics: 34 credits
- Agribusiness: 4
- BB 450, BB 451. General Biochemistry (4,3)
- MB 230. *Introductory Microbiology (4)
- CH 331, CH 332. Organic Chemistry (4,4)
- CH 337. Organic Chemistry Laboratory (4)
- MTH 112. *Elementary Functions (4)
- PH 201, PH 202. *General Physics (5,5)
Select two of the following courses:
- ANS 380. Principles of Animal Anatomy and Physiology (3)
- ANS 385. Foundations of Mammalian Histology (3)
- ANS 390. Gross Anatomy of Domestic Animals (4)