The Animal BioSciences/Pre-Professional option prepares students for professional careers in veterinary medicine, and animal science teaching and research. Extensive training is provided in the biological and physical sciences, offering an excellent foundation for graduate study.
Requirements include the core curriculum and additional credits as required by the College of Veterinary Medicine. The Animal BioSciences/Pre-Professional option is designed for students interested in fulfilling requirements for admission to the OSU College of Veterinary Medicine. It allows students who are admitted to the college, upon completion of three years of undergraduate study, to apply credit earned during the first year of professional study toward the BS degree in Animal Sciences.
Students choosing not to attend veterinary school after the third year of this program may complete additional requirements to qualify for the BS degree in Animal Sciences.
Scope of Base Animal Science Program
- Baccalaureate core: 48 credits plus a Writing Intensive Course (WIC) of at least 3 credits
- Animal Science Core: 34 credits
- Animal Industry: 6 credits
- Animal Production: 6 credits
- Advance Animal Behavior, Biohealth, Management & Judging: 6
- General science, math & statistics: 34 credits
- Agribusiness: 4
- BB 450, BB 451. General Biochemistry (4,3)
- MB 230. *Introductory Microbiology (4)
or MB 302. General Microbiology (3)
- CH 331, CH 332. Organic Chemistry (4,4)
- CH 337. Organic Chemistry Laboratory (4)
- MTH 112. *Elementary Functions (4)
and MTH 241. *Calculus for Management and Social Science (4)
or MTH 251. *Differential Calculus (4)
- PH 201, PH 202. *General Physics (5,5)
Animal Science Minor
Select a minimum of 12 credits from any lower-division ANS courses.
And select a minimum of 15 credits from any upper-division ANS courses.
Feed Manufacture, Sales and Technical Services
Animal Breeding Organizations
Processing and Marketing of Livestock Products
Banking for Livestock and Pet Ventures
Cooperative Extension Service
Government Administrative or Technical Services
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine